Monroe Group believes that everyone, regardless of income, age or ability, deserves a safe, clean and comfortable home. We offer Project Based Section 8 housing for individuals, families, seniors (over 62+ years) and persons with disabilities. Section 8 Housing program, is a federal assistance program from Housing and Urban Development (HUD) intended for very-low income families, the elderly and the disabled. The following are criteria to qualify for Project-Based Section 8 Housing:
- Must be over the age of 18.
- Family Status:
- With or without children
- At least one individual who is over the age of 62
- At least one or more individuals has a disability
- Displaced from their home (government action or natural disaster)
- Single person
- Tenant who remains in unit after all other members of family have left the unit, if the family was already receiving Section 8 assistance
- You or at least one member of your family household must be a US Citizen.
- Income: Section 8 Housing is a program designed to help lower-income individuals afford housing. Income limits will differ based on the number of people in the family. There is a minimum income requirement so you must have stable and regular employment, except if you are disabled. To qualify for Project Based Section 8 housing, you or your family’s yearly gross income must be below a certain level. HUD sets these income levels annually:
- Extremely Low Income: 30% of the area’s median income level.
- Very Low Income: 50% of the area’s median income level.
- Low Income: 80% of the area’s median income level.
- Background: You may not qualify if you have been evicted from a property within the last three years for criminal activity as well as poor tenant history, misdemeanors or felonies for violence or illegal substances (marijuana is illegal in federal housing even in states where it is legalized), or have bad credit due to unpaid bills. Each application is reviewed individually by our community managers and compliance staff.
- Complete our application on-line or in person.
- Interview with our property’s community manager
- Provide the necessary identification and documentation: Government or state-issued photo ID
Let us know if you have any questions about qualifying for Project Based Section 8 housing. We look forward to welcoming you and your family to our community!